As we write this, we are in Tbilisi, Georgia and about to head to Armenia. But just after spending almost five months in Southeast Asia and releasing our site, we find that we’re being asked “what was your favorite ______ in Southeast Asia?”
Here is our attempt to answer those questions, preempt a few others, and provide an overview of our experience.
Our Travel Path in Southeast Asia Between December 2006 and April 2007
(please excuse the fact that the map below looks like it was scribbled on by a 2-year old)
Award For the Most Waves and Smiles in Southeast Asia
- Best Boat Ride – Siem Reap to Battambang, Cambodia
- Best Boat Ride, Honorable Mention – Luang Prabang to Nong Khiaw, Laos
- Outrageously Cute Kids – Trek Outside Luang Prabang, Laos
- Condensed Milk and a Smile – Phnom Penh, Cambodia
- Tet Flower Market – Saigon, Vietnam
Click on the More Photos link at the bottom of each entry for even more images.
- Sapa, Vietnam
- Bac Ha Market, Vietnam
- Cai Rang Floating Market in the Mekong Delta, Vietnam
- Halong Bay, Vietnam
- The Andaman Beaches, Thailand
Southeast Asia: Digging into Humanity
A selection of stories that highlight the less seen.
- Battambang on a Motorbike
- The Other Side of Siem Reap
- Across the River in Luang Prabang
- Handing out Books to Village Kids – Laos
- Vietnam’s Open-Kimono Exhibit about its Subsidy Period
Southeast Asian Food: Top eating experiences, in no particular order
- Chau Tom – Hanoi
- Beef in a Leaf – Saigon
- The Lao Trinity – Jeaw Bong, Khai Pen, and Sticky Rice in Luang Prabang
- Prawns on the Mekong, Vientiane
- Cambodian morning soup
- Cambodian fish Amok
- Thai knom jeen in Krabi
Southeast Asia Photos
- Southeast Asia Overview – landscapes, people, and sites
- Southeast Asia People – the faces, the smiles, the color, the diversity
- Southeast Asia Food – this part of the world is tough to beat when it comes to the table
We’ve purposely tried to keep ‘em short. Check for them at the bottom of an article or check for an index of articles that have a video embedded here.
Some of our favorites:
- Saigon, Vietnam – possibly the only place (with the exception of Hanoi) where the traffic makes us laugh
- Battambang, Cambodia – who knew a day on the back of a motorbike could be so fun?
- Boat to Nong Khiaw, Laos – sitting on kindergarten-sized seats for 8 hours can be butt-numbing, but this trip is worth it