We arrived in India with mild travel trepidation. Aside from the monsoon-like rains which greeted our arrival, we’ve been pleasantly surprised by how relaxed life is in the southern Indian state of Kerala.
To give you an idea, we offer a photographic mosaic and a few highlights from our first two days.
Top 5 Highlights from Fort Cochin
- Cricket lessons in a Muslim back-street courtyard somewhere between Mattancherry and Fort Cochin. Getting lost here is nothing short of a blast.
- Walking past a school as the final bell struck. Imagine hundreds of children in uniform piling into auto rickshaws, all the while waving furiously (at the foreigners).
- Eating Kerala “red rice” thalis at Sri Krishna vegetarian cafe. We were both stuffed to the gills with six different curries, rice, chapati, lemon and mango sodas, and coffees…for less than $2.
- Watching Kathakali dancers meticulously apply their colorful make-up for over an hour before an expectation-beating performance.
- Taking an after-lunch nap while floating under the palm trees and along the canals of Kerala’s backwaters.
We’re off to catch a bus further south to Alleppey (Alapphuza). More later.